Did you know that thefts from vehicles represent a large percentage of property crimes reported in Memphis?
Thefts from vehicles can be prevented — Don’t be a victim!
SECURE YOUR VEHICLE
Car burgulars will seize the opportunity to enter unlocked vehicles. Don’t make your car an easy target by leaving your car doors unlocked.
- Always lock your doors.
- Spare car keys should not be stored in or on your car; thieves know where to look.
- Don’t forget to close windows and sunroofs.
- Never leave children or pets unattended in the vehicle.
- Park in a well-lit parking area.
- Consider installing a car alarm or a security device, and place anti-theft stickers on your vehicle.
DON’T LEAVE VALUABLES IN VIEW
Take extra precautions to avoid a criminal window-shopping inside your car. Never give thieves a reason to break into your vehicle and steal your belongings.
- Place any property in the trunk before you get to your next destination.
- Do not leave possessions on the passenger seat.
- Never hide expensive possessions under the seat, as this is the first place burglars check for stored items.
- Never attempt to cover valuable items left on the seat or floorboard of your car; blankets and articles of clothing present a hidden clue to thieves that items may be underneath.
- Do not leave any important documents in your car that contain your personal information.
Don’t let busy shopping habits leave you vulnerable to theft and other crimes of opportunity.
- Always stay alert to your surroundings.
- Never distract yourself by placing belongings in your vehicle while talking on the cell phone.
- Do not make unneccessary trips to put away packages inside your vehicle. Remember, you may not see a criminal but a criminal always sees you.
- Never use the excuse, “I’ll only be gone a few minutes,” to not secure your belongings and lock your doors.
If your car is broken into or stolen, notify the police immediately. Be prepared to give the following information:
- Date, time and location of the crime
- Vehicle description to include the year, make, model, license plate and/or VIN number
- List of valuable items inside your vehicle
- Any suspect or witness information
Common items stolen from vehicles:
- Car Stereos
- Credit Cards
- GPS Devices
- Loose Change
- Mobile Phones
- Shopping Bags