The following tips are provided to ensure you’re maximizing your property protection, privacy and safety:
- Prior to installing home-security devices – think fire safety first. Would the device prevent you from getting out of your home? Do you have pet doors? They provide entry for pets, but they may also provide entry for criminals.
- Privacy fences give you privacy, but they also give the criminal concealment from outside view.
- Secure your garage door, even when you are at home. Burglaries and thefts take minutes or even seconds to commit.
- DON’T open your door until you know who is there. When you are not home, leave lamps on timers and consider leaving a radio or television on.
- Consider leaving porch lights on at night. LIGHTING is one of the most INEXPENSIVE crime deterrents.
- Secure your keys and keep them out of view. NEVER place identification tags on your key rings. Treat your garage door opener like your keys.
- NEVER leave your garage door opener inside a vehicle that is parked outside. Keep trees and shrubbery trimmed for better visibility.
- Keep windows clear and free of shrubbery and debris. Overgrowth may provide hiding places for criminals.