Before you leave your home for vacation or other extended trips away from home, consider these precautions to keep your home and possessions safe in your absence:
- When leaving town, have a trusted friend or neighbor take care of your home. NEVER cancel general deliveries such as mail, milk, newspapers and other services when leaving town or going on vacation. But don’t let those newspaper deliveries pile up either.
- If you find a trusted friend or family member to house-sit, make sure to give them your house key directly and don’t stash it under a doormat or other “secret” place outside — thieves will look for and find your hiding spot.
- If you will be away for an extended period, arrange to have a neighbor cut your lawn.
- If you can, also have them move your car in the driveway so it appears you are still coming and going as usual.
- And NEVER leave your porch light on ONLY when you go on vacation. This tells a thief come on in…we are on vacation!
- If you can, keep a low profile on social media. Along with refraining from announcing your vacation (and future absence from home) online, it’s also a good idea to make sure you haven’t listed your phone number on any confirmed online event invites. Home addresses can be linked to phone numbers.