The mission of the Memphis Police Communications Bureau is to provide responsive quality service to the community and to the Memphis Police Department by processing emergency and non-emergency calls for service.
We are in partnership with the City of Memphis authorities and our community members to enhance public safety and improve the quality of police services for the benefit of all citizens.
OUR CORE VALUES
- Honesty In All Transactions
- Excellence In All We Do
- Responsive To All We Serve
- Safety In All Environments
The Memphis Police Department’s 9-1-1 Center is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We are the largest Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) in Shelby County. Our highly trained dispatchers answer approximately 3,500 calls daily.
To ensure that citizens receive the most efficient services, we have two numbers available for the public. 9-1-1 is available for life threatening emergency calls only. For all other calls, please call the non-emergency number 545-COPS (545-2677). Citizens should always remember to stay on the line until it is answered by the dispatcher.
What is considered a Non-Emergency? | 545.COPS (2677)
- Minor accident (no injury)
- Barking dogs
- Burglarized property
- Power outage
- Drug sale
- Loud parties
- Legal advice
- Keys locked in vehicle (no child inside)
- File Reports
What is considered an Emergency? | 911
You should only call 9-1-1 in EMERGENCIES – when you or someone else is seriously hurt or is experiencing life-threatening conditions. An emergency is any situation that requires the immediate assistance of a police officer, fire fighter or emergency medical services.
- Crime in progress
- Breathing problems
- Gun shot wounds
- Struck by vehicle
- Child locked in vehicle
If your situation is an EMERGENCY…
- Dial 9-1-1.
- Calmly tell the operator which emergency agency you need (Police or Fire).
- Clearly state where you need emergency assistance.
- If you don’t have an exact address, please give the operator two intersecting streets plus the name of the business or apartment complex.
- Clearly state your emegerency.
- Stay on the line and DO NOT hang up until the operator has all the necessary information.